Service Alerts and Notices

info@bsvrr.com E-Mail Us



Social
Facebook
Instagram
Pinterest
Twitter YouTube

 

  
Home


    Tickets & Gifts

Purchase Tickets
Purchase a Gift Card
Shop our Gift Shop
Deals and Discounts
    
     Special Events
Events Calendar
Day Out With Thomas
Pumpkin Express
Santa Express
   
     Operating Schedule

Schedule & Prices
Charter a Train
Download Brochures
     
     Rides

Our Route
Basic Excursion

Dinner Train
Dessert Train
Picnic Train
Electric Trolley

     Preservation
James Andrew Museum
Shop Projects
Our Equipment
    
     Area Information
Weather & Webcam
Dining
Lodging
Directions
Area Links

     About Us

FAQs
Contact Us

Join Us
Newsroom
Employment
Policies & Refunds
    
     Social Media
Facebook
Flickr
Google+
Instagram
Pinterest
Tumblr
Twitter
YouTube



Our Equipment

Diesel Locomotives

Photo by Loren Karr


Photo by Loren Karr
244
Alco, RS-1

This 1000 horsepower locomotive emerged from Alco's factory in November of 1951, with builder number 79577. It got its start as Lake Superior & Ishpeming 1002, hauling iron ore in Michigan. In 1967, the locomotive was purchased by the Calumet & Hecla Railroad, and was renumbered 205.  After its retirement from ore service, it was purchased by the Continental Grain Company (by at least 1975) in Pickering, Iowa, where it was used to switch cars at their facility south of Marshalltown, Iowa.

 In 1996, it was donated to the Iowa Railroad Historical Society.

Now painted and numbered for the Minneapolis & St. Louis, 244 is one of the locomotives used to power our Monday through Friday, and Sunday excursion trains to Fraser.

Updated 7/11/12



Photo by Loren Karr


Photo by Eldon Campbell


Photo by John Vilmain
1003
EMD, NW-2

The 1003 was purchased from the Chicago & North Western Railway in March of 1986.  Also included in the purchase was TR2B 1103, but more on that in a moment.

1003 was released from EMD's factory in March of 1942, with the serial number 1553.  It first saw service on the Canadian National Railway's subsidiary Grand Trunk Western as number 7914. In the early 1970's the Grand Trunk Western retired the locomotive, and it went to Precision National Corporation in Mount Vernon, Illinois, a company which sold and rebuilt used equipment.  In 1973, the unit was sold to the Chicago and North Western Railway.  In March of 1986, the Chicago and North Western sold the 1003 to the Boone & Scenic Valley Railroad.  

Included in the purchase from the Chicago and North Western was a TR2B, number 1103. 1103 cannot be used on its own, as it does not have controls or a cab.  Its sole purpose is to provide extra pulling power when tethered to another unit, such as 1003.  1103 began life as Chicago Great Western #65B.  Built in August of 1949, it has a serial number of 6892.  It became a part of the Chicago and North Western Railway when the Chicago Great Western was purchased by the "North Western" in 1968.

Updated 7/26/12



Photo by Loren Karr


Photo by Fenner Stevenson
1098
ALCO S-2
(OUT OF SERVICE - NEEDS GENERATOR)


This 1000 horsepower locomotive was released from Alco's factory on March 30, 1942, with the serial number of 69662.  It was purchased by the Terminal Railroad Association of St. Louis, and operated for them as number 575.  TRRA's purchase price for the locomotive was $79,935.00.

After its life on the TRRA, the locomotive was purchased by RELCO, a locomotive and railroad equipment leasing company, and given the number 1031.  It headed to ADM in Denison, Iowa, where it switched cars at their grain elevator.

In 1997, 1031 was donated to the Iowa Railroad Historical Society by ADM. The Union Pacific Railroad was instrumental in moving the locomotive to Boone.  Therefore, when the time came to repaint the locomotive, it was painted into the Union Pacific's well-known colors.

In October of 1998, the locomotive emerged from the Boone & Scenic Valley Railroad's shops as Union Pacific 1098.  That number is significant in that it signifies the date the locomotive was returned to service.  Even though the locomotive never belonged to the Union Pacific, the number 1098 also fits into the series of numbers the Union Pacific did use for that particular model.

Updated 9/13/16



Photo by Loren Karr


Photo by Loren Karr
1858
GE 45-TON CENTER CAB

Built in 1944, this unit was used to switch cars at the coal-fired Iowa State University power plant in Ames, Iowa.  When the university began
receiving shipments of coal via truck, the unit was placed on loan to the Boone & Scenic Valley Railroad. 

In honor of the Iowa State University, the locomotive was painted in their colors of cardinal and gold.

Presently, the unit is mainly used in spotting the trolley for its weekend operations.


Updated 7/10/12



Photo by John Vilmain


Photo by Loren Karr


Photo by Loren Karr
2254
GE 80-TON CENTER CAB

Originally numbered 7858, this unit was built for the US Air Force in 1942.  In 1983, the Air Force deemed the locomotive as surplus, and it was purchased by the Boone & Scenic Valley Railroad.  The unit was a "good fit" for our railroad, as the Fort Dodge, Des Moines and Southern Railroad, one of our predecessors, owned and operated very similar locomotives in the 1950's and 1960's.

In 1984, the unit was repainted, and renumbered 2254.  2254 was the number of people who came together in 1983, and purchased charter memberships in the Boone & Scenic Valley Railroad, saving this eleven mile section of trackage from abandonment and dismantling.

In 2012, the unit was repainted into a paint scheme well-known to many along the Fort Dodge Line (and other Salzburg family-owned lines of the time).  

Providing 500 horsepower, 2254 remains in active service, used mainly in work train service, moving cars of ballast and riprap along the line.


Updated 7/11/12



Photo by Loren Karr


Photo by Loren Karr


Photo by Loren Karr


Photo by Loren Karr
2921
SD40-2T

Union Pacific #2921, a SD40-2T, was built by Electro-Motive Division (General Motors) in June 1979 for the Southern Pacific Railroad. Its original
number when used on the Southern Pacific was 8385.

There were 312 of these “tunnel motors” produced by EMD from 1974 – 1980. The major difference between these locomotives and a standard SD40-2 was the low intake for engine cooling air located near the rear. This area somewhat represents a cage as you view it today. These locomotives were also referred to as “snoots” due to the long nose. The nose of 2921 measures 123” long, and was built to house radio-control equipment, known as Locotrol. This allowed the unit to be used as a helper to assist trains over the mountains of the Southwest.

When the Union Pacific merged with the Southern Pacific, the locomotive number was changed from SP 8385 to UP 4476 in January of 1999, then to UP 2921 in June of 2001. The locomotive had faithfully served the Southern Pacific and Union Pacific Railroads for over 2.5 million miles. In 2007, the 2921 had been all across the former SP line, making the trip from California to Texas and back several times.
The Union Pacific Railroad retired 2921 on December 5, 2008, and in February of 2010, the Union Pacific donated 2921 to the Boone & Scenic Valley Railroad and Museum. On March 18, 2010, the locomotive was brought onto the B&SVRR by rail, where she is ready to operate for many more miles in the future.

Power Output: 3,000 horsepower Weight: 394,000 pounds Total length: 70 feet 8 inches Fuel tank: 4,400 gallons



Photo by Fenner Stevenson


Photo by Jim Gardner
6540
GMD FP9A

This locomotive was built by GMD Canada in 1958, and received by the Canadian National in June of that year.  In later years, the unit was utilized
by Canada's VIA Rail passenger system, until its retirement in 1991.

In 2002, the unit was purchased by the Boone & Scenic Valley Railroad, and painted into a Chicago & North Western-like paint scheme, while retaining the number 6540.

The unit is used to power the Boone & Scenic Valley Railroad's dinner, dessert, and picnic trains.

Steam Locomotives

Photo by Loren Karr


Photo by Loren Karr


Photo by Nathanial Brown


Photo by Loren Karr


Photo from the IRHS Collection

8419
Front Wreath says, "We are friends in the world. Even though our two countries are far apart we feel like close neighbors." (The front wreath is currently in storage.)

Tender: Engineer's side says, "The (locomotive is a) dragon that swims through the blue ocean between two friendly nations."

Fireman's side says, "The locomotive bounds through the sky (as if flying) as it climbs the hill and passes through the valley with a loud whistle."

Axle arrangement: 2-8-2
Drive wheels diameter: 54 inches
Overall length: 76.67 feet
Maximum width: 11.07 feet
maximum height:15.46 feet

Total weight of the engine and tender in working order is 209 tons
Engine and tender empty is 139.6 tons
Engine alone is 101.4 tons
Tender alone is 38.22 tons

Fuel capacity: 17.6 tons of coal
Water capacity: 9,245 gallons

Maximum speed: 52.8 mph
Maximum speed on our line: 12 mph

Output at wheel rim: 2,770 horsepower

Working steam pressure: 200 psi
Stroke: 27.95 inches
Total wheel base: 33.4 feet
Rigid wheel base: 14.5 feet

Operating facts: The engine takes roughly six hours of start-up time when "cold" and about 2 hours when "warm". The crew consists of 1 driver and 1 fireman. Each run consumes about 1,500 gallons of water, and less than 1 ton of coal. The cab temperature on a hot day can exceed 120 degrees F.

Updated 7/10/12



Photo by Fenner Stevenson


Photo by Fenner Stevenson


17
In 1940, this 2-8-0 was built by the Canadian Locomotive Company for the Roberval and Saquenay mining railroad in Northern Quebec. It was the last 2-8-0 built in Canada. After spending 20 years hauling bauxite in Canada, the locomotive was sold to southern Illinois' Crab Orchard and Egyptian Railroad in 1975.

In 1987, it was sold to the Boone and Scenic Valley Railroad.

The locomotive has 57" diameter wheels, 23" diameter cylinders with a 30" stroke, boiler pressure of 200 pounds, total weight on drivers of 204,200 pounds, total locomotive weight of 230,720 pounds. Maximum tractive effort of 47,300 pounds. The eight wheel tender holds 7,000 imperial gallons of water and 14 tons of coal.

It was originally equipped with a winterized cab, superheater, feed water heater, and stoker, all of which were later removed by the CO&E. Its
headlight was from an ex-IC electric trailer car.

The #17 has had its flues removed and discarded. Its jacket and insulation have been removed, and the jacket pieces saved. All of the grates, the turbo generator, bell, and all piping and appliances in the cab have been removed and are in storage. The front and rear flue sheets were replaced by the CO&E when the superheater tubes were removed. #17 has a front mounted air compressor.

Some of what it needs to make it operational again are: A whistle, smoke box rebuilding, new flues, new fire brick, insulation, jacket, bottom part of the fire box water legs and mud ring replaced, main bearing work.

Updated 7/10/12

Electric Equipment

Photo by Loren Karr
CCW Car 50
CCW Car Number 50 was built by the Mc Guire-Cummings Company of Paris, Illinois in 1915.  The builder's photo shows that it was originally built and lettered for the CCW.  Records indicate that it was originally painted in the Pullman green color, and sometime in its later life, it was painted in the present colors of orange and maroon..  This car is a prime example of the combination baggage, mail and passenger type of interurban car that ran between cities and towns in more densely populated areas of the country.  Car 50 ran between Charles City, Iowa and the nearby communities of Marble Rock and Colwell, all in the northeastern part of Iowa.



Photo by Loren Karr


Photo by Loren Karr
Chicago South Shore & South Bend Cars
All of these cars are former Chicago, South Shore & South Bend cars which were built in 1927.  

Cars 38 and 39 have been converted to trailer (unpowered) cars. Cars 102, 106, and 109 were lengthened and modernized after World War II.


Cars 38, 39, and 106 are pressed into service during our busier times of the year (fall colors, Day outwith Thomas™, Santa Express™ trains, etc.), while cars 102 and 109 are on hand for parts salvage.


These cars were purchased with the help of area businesses, and moved to Boone in 1984.    



Photo by Loren Karr
Metra Bi-Level Cars
"Highliners" 1506, 1511, 1523, 1538, 1557, 1628


Passenger Equipment

Photo by Loren Karr
"City of Los Angeles" Dining Car


Photo by Loren Karr
"City of San Francisco" Dining Car


Photo by Loren Karr
Chicago & North Western Bi-Level Cars


Photo by Loren Karr
Lackawanna Coaches

Photo by Loren Karr
Rock Island Commuter Coach


Photo by Loren Karr
Concession Car


Photo by Loren Karr
Open Air Car


Photo by Loren Karr
Rock Island Caboose


Photo by Loren Karr
Chicago & North Western Caboose


Miscellaneous Equipment

Photo by Loren Karr









Boone & Scenic Valley Railroad / James H. Andrew Railroad Museum
 225 10th Street, Boone, Iowa 50036     1-800-626-0319     info@bsvrr.com


Unless otherwise noted, images are Iowa Railroad Historical Society

Copying, redistribution, or reuse of files, photos, text, or graphics from this website without written permission is prohibited

Privacy Policy and Terms of Use

Website design, maintenance, and hosting by

2007-2016